Tuesday, June 12, 2012

ALUMNUS MIKE GERSHON NOW AN ASSISTANT WITH PORT HURON

One of the most accomplished blueliners in Brockport history -- Mike Gershon, who was an All-SUNYAC pick on the playoff teams -- has a new gig. He's the assistant coach for Port Huron.

The Times-Herlad reports....


Michael Gershon got a crash course this past season in the world of coaching at the junior level.

As the head coach and general manager of the New Mexico Renegades of the Western States Hockey League, Gershon handled pretty much everything for the Renegades, including some advertising and marketing.

That experience should help him as he takes on his next role as an assistant with the Port Huron Fighting Falcons.

“I feel like I can do a lot more than a normal assistant would coming in after one year of coaching,” said Gershon, a former Port Huron Icehawks defenseman. “I think it really prepared me. I was doing video, setting up trips, buses, hotels and food, so I’ve got that under my belt, too.”

Gershon joins Jeff Blum and Scott Nichols as assistants on coach Steve Shannon’s staff. He said he’ll likely spend much of his time with the defense, but he’s ready to take on any role Shannon gives him.

“I pretty much ran what (former Icehawks coach Stan Drulia) ran, with some variation,” Gershon said. “A lot of what Pittsburgh runs. Steve has his own philosophy, and I’ll have to adapt to that. Obviously I’ll have my say, but as an assistant, it’s my job to give my opinion and offer my support.”



Read the full article here. It has some great insight into Mr. Gershon's post-Brockport days:

http://www.thetimesherald.com/article/20120612/SPORTS/306120009/Hockey-Mike-Gershon-joins-Fighting-Falcons-staff


____